Advantages and Disadvantages of Laser Welding
- precise working with exact placing of the energy spot
- welding of complicated joint geometry
- low heat application, therefore minor changes in microstructure
- low thermal distortion
- cavity-free welds
- low post weld operation times
- large working distance is possible ( welding up to 500 mm distance and also to inaccessible parts).
- The welding plants are expensive, depending upon the equipment.
- If filler material is necessary they are, because of the limited amount produced, relatively expensive. This disadvantage is counteracted by the low amount used compared to the welding time and also that there are few post welding operations.